- Contract Type
- Contract Type
- Monday to Friday, 8:30-17:00 or 9:00-17:30. Minimum 37.5 hours a week.
- Chorley - Hybrid
We are an innovative and market leading software & services company based in Chorley serving clients in the utility sector ranging from new entrants to large existing suppliers. We deliver sophisticated software solutions and managed services in a Private Cloud infrastructure, servicing both traditional and modern real-time, smart energy clients.
Given the ongoing situation with COVID, you will initially work remotely, with dedicated support being provided by a senior team member by way of Zoom, Slack, Phone, Screensharing etc. Our goal will be to return to our Chorley based office in the coming months, which is where you will be based. However, there will still be an option of working remotely when this happens under ESG’s Hybrid Remote Working Policy. During your probation period, which is 6 months, you will be expected to attend the office frequently for training.
We are looking for an experienced and capable Capacity Manager who can develop, establish and operate the Capacity Management function within ESG. You will have overall responsibility for ensuring that there is adequate capacity to meet the required levels of service for ESG’s production environments. You will maintain the capacity plan and ensure that senior management within ESG are advised on capacity demands and future requirements whilst ensuring optimal use of existing capacity. You will work across all aspects of the customer lifecycle, and working with multiple departments, to understand and advise on capacity requirements, from pre-sales and contracting, design and development and live operations.
Currently not a dedicated role within ESG, you will need to be flexible in your approach to the role, working with the existing teams to establish the Capacity Management function and generate buy-in from all areas of the business.
A high-profile role reporting into the Operations Director organisationally, you will be working closely across engineering, IT and infrastructure and the operational teams and expected to operate with “dotted lines” into the Director of IT.
Provide capacity management across 3 key areas:
- Trending, forecasting, modelling, sizing and documenting Client requirements.
- Ensure that the future requirements for both existing and new Clients are considered and understood
- Ensuring that sufficient capacity to support the services ESG delivers are planned and implemented in appropriate timescales for existing and new Clients
- Working in conjunction with Clients and Service Delivery to proactively plan for upgrades to existing services and the introduction of new services
- Monitoring, analysing, tuning and reporting on service capacity and performance
- Establishing baselines and profiles for service utilisation, and managing demand.
- To identify and understand the use of resource, working patterns, peaks and troughs and to ensure that the service can, and will, meet its Service Level Agreements.
- Responsible for ensuring that it meets the agreed service targets.
- Ensuring services are monitored and providing data that can identify trends from which “normal service” levels can be baselined
- Regular monitoring and comparison with baselines to define, identify and report on exception conditions
- Monitoring, analysing, tuning and reporting on the utilisation of individual technical components
- Establishing baselines and profiles for component use.
- Ensuring the optimum use of the current hardware and software resources in order to achieve and maintain the agreed service levels.
- Collating data from the monitoring of resources such as processors, memory, disks, network bandwidth, network connections etc.
- Projecting utilisation forwards based on inputs from all areas of Capacity Management and working with Infrastructure to plan requirements and spending
- Ensuring effective & efficient capacity and performance of IT services and components (infrastructure & application)
- Ensuring adequate performance capacity for all systems and services
- Working with Application Support, Infrastructure & Engineering to ensure performance and capacity monitoring is effective
- Reporting regularly on capacity utilisation, capacity issues and actions, progress against plan
- Tracking capacity, across individual clients, shared infrastructure, dedicated environments
- Projecting trends forwards and providing proactive plans for capacity requirements and planning how capacity is delivered efficiently
- Working closely with engineering to design and assure applications are built with capacity considerations in mind
- Setting policies for data monitoring, collection, storage, analysis and reporting
- Assist in pre-sales scoping and contracting for requisite capacity for individual clients
- Working with operations and service delivery to understand capacity requirements and drivers and feed this into the capacity plan
- Utilising on-going monitoring, trend analysis and feeds to avoid capacity issues or bottlenecks
- Understand the principles of ISO27001, ISO 9001, other regulatory obligations and ensure compliance in our Capacity Management processes and participate in ISO27001, ISO9001 and CIO accreditations
- Participate in a programme of continuous improvement, to ensure the support systems and processes are appropriate to changing company and customer requirements
- Avoidance of Capacity related issues
- Revenue assurance via a robust capacity management approach
- Integrated into departments, and capacity management considered at all stages of software development lifecycle – from design to live operations
- Excellent inter-personal skills and team working capabilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Customer focused
- A strong sense of ownership and ability to push initiatives forwards
- Articulate and diplomatic
- Detail orientated with an analytical mind set
- Self-motivated and willing to contribute outside direct areas of responsibility
- Able to project a professional image
- Able to work effectively under pressure
- Able to focus on both detail and accuracy
- Able to work as part as a team or individually
- Tactful and diplomatic, able to influence people
- Previous experience working as a Capacity Manager in a large scale operation, providing capacity management across a large environment estate
- Previous supply-side experience in a commercial SaaS business – highly desirable
- Experience of working in an ITIL environment is desirable but not essential
- Familiar with ISO 27001 & the process of ISO 27001 audit and compliance
- ISO Responsibilities
- ISO Staff Awareness
- Follow IMS Policies
- Reporting of Incidents