ESG is the retail energy industry’s leading provider of Market Data Management (MDM), Customer Data Management (CDM), Smart Metering and wholesale energy solutions. Offering the industry’s leading end-to-end business process platform, ESG provides comprehensive and proven solutions for the unique business process needs of start-up retail suppliers and established, global suppliers of natural gas and electricity – and to everyone in between.
ESG delivers solutions that ensure rapid market entry, reduce regulatory and operational risks, improve overall business performance, and deliver superior financial results. ESGʼs 200 plus energy clients support over 20 million residential, commercial and industrial customers in the USA, UK and Japan.
The Energy market is digitizing and decarbonizing rapidly and ESG is poised to capitalize on the opportunities that are emerging to help our clients navigate these challenges with investment into a new platform to take to the market.
ESG is looking for a Chief Product Officer to usher in this next phase of rapid growth.
As Chief Product Officer you will have the most senior product role in our business and report directly to the CEO. As the owner of the global product portfolio, you will be setting the product vision and delivery cadence that ensures we create products that add significant value to our customers and also capitalize on industry change opportunities. Your goal is to further develop a formidable product team behind a sustainable product vision and consequent business results. You will add the dimension of a strong product culture to our business, guiding how product decisions are made. We will need you to position and package our world-leading technology products so that our commercial teams are equipped with product, pricing and sales collateral that enables revenue and market share growth.
You will need to ensure you identify and understand the target markets to ensure product market fit for our regions (currently North America, UK and Japan).
Vision, Strategy and Market Fit
• Collaborate with your key stakeholders across the business to understand market and business needs, evaluate market opportunities, and deliver sound ROI-driven product strategies.
• You will work closely with the CTO, CFO and regional MDs to ensure that the latest R&D is leveraged in developing product and that it is aligned to our overall strategic direction.
• Represent product management at the executive level.
• Create and shape the product vision and value proposition.
• Discover and validate market trends and ESG value propositions (both existing and future)
• Collaborate internally and externally to validate market fit for existing and new product offerings.
• Develop a deep understanding of user and customer applications of ESG products.
• Defend an excellent product strategy against random changes, fads, and single-customer escalations.
• Lead the strategic planning and prioritization of product capital spend against budget and motivate and account for such in the Operating Board and Investor Board meetings.
Product Vision, Management and Execution
• Optimize and manage visible product roadmap processes.
• Measure and develop a visible product portfolio with clear success metrics.
• Use modern forms of product planning, customer discovery to continuously find and refine product- market fit in our target markets
• Determine a product management program that will deliver the best product against the company’s long- term strategy.
Product Team and Culture
• Develop a strong product management team, including product managers, designers, and marketers.
• Develop a solid vision for the product that motivates and inspires the business to deliver exceptional product outcomes.
• Organize and facilitate product education and information-sharing sessions to share and entrench the product culture and knowledge throughout ESG.
• Attend and, where appropriate, present at industry led conferences and speaker events, to showcase ESG as a thought leader.
• Lead the product marketing function responsible for the provision of high impact sales collateral.
• Collaborate on final marketing and go-to-market plans.
• Drive product discovery work to test and prove business viability of the product (e.g., pricing parameters and profitability).
• Design customer value propositions, product differentiation, ROI analysis and continuously test market fit.
• Report on product performance metrics.
Requirements and Skills
Qualifications, Experience and Key Attributes
• A demonstrable track record in setting clear product vision and driving high levels of engagement and performance across multidisciplinary teams.
• Technical degree qualification is preferable.
• Proven track record in delivering technical products that achieved revenue growth and delighted customers.
• Significant and relevant experience working in product leadership roles in a SaaS environment.
• Direct experience working within a PE invested (high growth) or similar stage company would be ideal
• Demonstrable experience defining a global product roadmap and which features are added in temporal horizon (short, mid, and long term).
• Experience with implementation of the product road maps, both internally and externally (to ensure that the client adopts product generations that maximize the client experience) and to guarantee that ESG puts into place the necessary actions for this.
• Demonstrable experience as a change agent and a strong strategic thinker.
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills and the ability to integrate feedback and priorities.
• Entrepreneurial, curious, and highly proactive behaviors are essential
Team & Cultural Fit
• An enthusiastic, high-energy and motivating leader who is visibly passionate about making a difference to our customers by delivering best of class products while aligning to our EPIC core values (Excellence, Passion, Integrity & Collaboration).
• Respectful and collaborative executive team member.
• A leader that can attract, recruit and retain high performing talent to join the team.
• A ‘hands-on’ executive that fosters a low-bureaucracy, high-accountability environment.
• Apolitical with a deep sense of personal and team accountability.
• A leader who inspires loyalty and trust among subordinates and colleagues.
• Operates effectively across the organization, driving cross functional collaboration and alignment.
• High level of energy, dedication and an unrelenting drive to succeed.
Education & Development
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred
• Relevant product training, methodologies, executive management training programs or relevant advanced degree preferred
• Ability to manage in a fast-paced environment with multiple high-level priorities.
• Accustomed to work in an international environment involving remote team management and various time zones.