- To be discussed
- Contract Type
- Contract Type
- Full Time
We are an innovative and market leading software & services company based in Chorley serving clients in the utility sector ranging from new entrants to large existing suppliers. We are creating a more competitive utilities sector, improving our customer’s lives through better service and greater choice and guiding our clients through complex industry change. Our purpose is to make utilities smarter for everyone. We deploy our technology and talent to deliver innovation and automation through our SaaS and Business Process Management solutions from which we create actionable data analytics and insight. To date, ESG has enabled a significant number of new entrant energy suppliers to enter the industry and we manage several million customers on behalf of suppliers and metering companies, servicing both traditional and modern real-time, smart energy clients, both UK and overseas based.
ESG’s in-house dual fuel billing platform is built upon Microsoft Dynamics utilising ASP.NET, C# and Java with a SQL Server database. As part of the Billing Team, you will be expected to develop and support the applications written in Java and C#. You shall be expected to develop and unit test software to the Internal Development Standards to ensure all products are of acceptable quality to the end customer. You shall participate in design and planning of software solutions to the requirements specification and working on development projects throughout the software lifecycle, from requirements analysis, development, testing and support.
Customer Support & Solutions
- Provide customer support for installed ESG products by identifying, diagnosing, and providing a resolution including any required data-fixes using SQL and applying root-cause fixes where appropriate.
- To provide application support by resolving complex queries raised through the service desk to the agreed service level.
- To assist in the definition of feasible, cost-effective solutions to meet the agreed functional and non-functional requirements.
- To understand GUI standards and assist users in interpreting these as required, liaising with the users and undertaking GUI design and prototyping.
- To participate in quality reviews.
- To participate in the design and architecture of the software solution.
- To assist in the identification of opportunities for component and technology re-use, and to identify opportunities for product improvements.
- To construct and document new and amended software in accordance with ESG standards, to meet the requirements of the design/program specification.
- To appreciate the importance of design and software specifications; produce and amend software specifications; resolve queries arising from software specifications.
- To perform development testing and to help resolve any issues raised.
- Follow the JIRA/Git processes and update accordingly.
- To contribute to the project planning process by providing estimates of effort and elapsed time for the assigned work; to advise of any deviations from the plan and recommend corrective actions.
- To ensure all project issues and risks are reported accurately; make recommendations for corrective actions.
- To understand the importance of quality/change control, to comply with all relevant standards and procedures and participate in quality assurance and control activities.
- To understand the importance of configuration management and participate within the formal configuration management system.
- To report progress and participate in progress meetings.
- To understand the concepts of solutions implementation; understand data conversion; understand the transition, fall back and business change strategies; assist in the implementation of new and amended solutions.
- To produce technical documentation where required to support development delivered to customers and willing to demonstrate new functionality to both the team and customers if required.
- At least 2 years commercial experience of software development, with one or more of the following technologies: Java, C#, SQL, Spring, Hibernate, Maven, GIT, Junit, jQuery, HTML & CSS.
- Proven experience of software development projects and a commitment to utilising development methodologies is essential.
- Ability to provide software process improvements is essential.
- Good understanding of the full development lifecycle, with detailed knowledge of at least one of the following: Analysis/Design, Software Engineering, Testing, Implementation
- Positive Attitude: someone who takes ownership and pride in their work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Working knowledge of the Energy Industry is desirable, but not essential
Qualification, Attributes & Experience
- A minimum of 2+ years Java development experience within a commercial environment.
- A minimum 2:1 Degree in Computer/IT related discipline or an active GitHub profile with a keen interest in Java.
You will have
- Good problem-solving techniques.
- Good inter-personal skills.
- Ability to work well within a team.
- Good understanding of full IT lifecycle, with detailed knowledge of at least one of the following: Analysis/Design, Software Engineering, Testing, Implementation.
- Follow IMS Policies
- Reporting of Incident
- ISO Responsibilities
- ISO Staff Awareness