- Contract Type
- Monday to Friday, 08:30-17:00 or 09:00-17:30. A minimum of 37.5 hours per week.
- Research and Development
We are an innovative and market leading software & services company based in Chorley serving clients in the utility sector ranging from new entrants to large existing suppliers. We deliver sophisticated software solutions and managed services in a Private Cloud infrastructure, servicing both traditional and modern real-time, smart energy clients.
As a Developer within the R & D team, you will focus on the the investigation and implementation of new technologies and frameworks/architecture, to design and prototype new solutions and work closely with other departments across the business with a focus on the longer term technical strategic direction.
The key focus of the department alongside new and innovative products is to utilise new technologies and frameworks to improve:
- Ease of development
You shall be expected to develop and unit test software to the ESG Global Development Standards to ensure that all products are of acceptable quality. You should have an understanding of how technical decisions impacts all stakeholders, development, internal customers (app support, industry ops) and external customers.
You shall be managed and report directly to Research and Development Manager.
Given the ongoing situation with COVID, you will initially work remotely, with dedicated support being provided by a senior team member by way of Zoom, Slack, Phone, Screensharing etc. Our goal will be to return to our Chorley based office in the coming months, which is where you will be based. However, there will still be an option of working remotely when this happens under ESG’s Hybrid Remote Working Policy. During your probation period, which is 6 months, you will be expected to attend the office frequently for training.
Description of Responsibilities:
Customer Support and Solutions
- Provide consultancy to customers or developers as required.
- To respond to queries raised by suppliers; review products produced by suppliers.
- To assist in the definition of feasible, cost-effective solutions to meet the agreed functional and non-functional requirements.
- Intimate knowledge of technical frameworks.
- Up to date with latest technology.
- Ability to choose technologies on best technical fit against the business roadmap.
- To understand GUI standards and assist users in interpreting these as required; liaising with the users and undertaking GUI design and prototyping; to participate in quality reviews.
- To design parts of the physical system; define the system processes; map the processes onto the data model; describe the life cycle of the data entities; define and design user interfaces; contribute towards the production of the physical design specification; to participate in quality reviews.
- To assist in the identification of opportunities for component and technology re-use.
- To assist in the resolution of conflicts between functional requirements and technical or resource constraints.
- To appreciate the importance of design and software specifications; produce and amend software specifications; resolve queries arising from software specifications; to undertake and participate in quality reviews.
- To raise queries and resolve queries.
- To construct and document new and amended complex software in accordance with ESG Global (Energy) Ltd standards, to meet the requirements of the design/program specification; to undertake and participate in quality reviews.
ESG Global Implementation
- To understand the principles and objectives of user documentation; assist in the preparation of user documentation.
- To understand the principles and objectives of operational and systems management documentation; assist in the preparation of operational and systems management documentation.
- To contribute to the project planning process by providing estimates of effort and elapsed time for the assigned work; to advise of any deviations from the plan, and recommend corrective actions.
- To ensure all project issues and risks are properly reported; make recommendations for corrective actions.
- To understand the importance of quality control, to comply with all relevant standards and procedures and participate in quality assurance and control activities.
- To understand the importance of change control and work within a formal change control system.
- To understand the importance of configuration management and participate within the formal configuration management system.
- To report progress and participate in progress meetings.
- To understand the concepts of solutions implementation; understand data conversion; understand the transition, fallback and business change strategies; assist in the implementation of new and amended solutions.
You must have:
- Experience of modern web frontend technologies to build interactive applications, using frameworks such as React and Angular and associated toolchains.
- Familiarity with using Java to build traditional MVC web applications and Rest APIs with the Spring framework.
- Knowledge of SQL in particular MySQL or MSSQL to build RDBMS backed web applications, and to investigate performance aspects of queries.
- Proven experience of software development projects and a commitment to utilising development methodologies is essential
- Well-rounded technical understanding and good problem-solving skills, to triage and resolve issues at various levels of the application stack.
- Ability to provide software process improvements is essential
- Excellent written and oral communications
- Working knowledge of the Energy Industry is desirable, but not essential
- Knowledge of Data Analytics desirable, but not essential
- Knowledge of Docker and Linux deployments desirable, but not essential
- A minimum 2:1 Degree in Computer/IT related discipline
You will have:
- Good problem solving techniques
- Good inter-personal skills
- Good understanding of full IT lifecycle, with detailed knowledge of at least one of the following; Analysis/Design, Software Engineering, Testing, Implementation
- ISO Responsibilities
- ISO Staff Awareness
- Follow IMS Policies
- Reporting of Incidents