- Contract Type
- Contract Type
- Monday to Friday, 8:30-17:00 or 9:00-17:30. Minimum 37.5 hours a week.
- ESG Global (Energy) Ltd UK Head Office, Brisance House, Euxton Lane, Lancashire, PR7 6AQ
We are an innovative and market leading software and services company based in Chorley serving clients in the utility sector ranging from new entrants to large existing suppliers. We deliver sophisticated software solutions and managed services in a Private Cloud infrastructure, servicing both traditional and modern real-time, smart energy clients.
We are recruiting a Senior SQL Database Administrator to join the current DBA team.
Growth of the business and a strong desire to re-architecture, modernise, standardise and consolidate the existing core SQL server estate has led to the need to expand the DBA team, creating this exciting new opportunity.
Reporting to DBA team lead, the Senior DBA will be required to help administer, configure, support, monitor and troubleshoot existing database server environments (production / testing / dev). They will be required to liaise with other departments, providing technical support and to implement projects and maintain practices and processes according to industry best practice and the requirements of the business.
The DBA is expected to be involved in incident investigation and resolution so will need to be pragmatic, remain calm under pressure and have a customer service focus. The DBA will have previous experience in a DBA role, adaptable to changing priorities and will have a strong sense of accountability and a determination to deliver excellent service. They will be someone who can bring a new array of skills / ideas and experiences to the team.
Given the ongoing situation with COVID, you will initially work remotely, with dedicated support being provided by a senior team member by way of Zoom, Slack, Phone, Screensharing etc. Our goal will be to return to our Chorley based office in the coming months, which is where you will be based. However, with this particular role there will still be an option of full-time remote working under ESG’s Hybrid Remote Working Policy. However, during your probation period, which is 6 months, you may be expected to attend the office for training.
- Monitoring and maintaining the health of production SQL servers and databases.
- Trouble shooting operational service impacting issues/failure and root cause investigation and analysis.
- Server performance monitoring and index / configuration tuning.
- Provision new SQL server environments.
- Server configured to adhere with best practices.
- Ensuring Database Backup and Maintenance jobs run successfully.
- Performing database restore testing.
- Create and maintain ad-hoc business reports.
- Peer-review of scripts and releases for quality control.
- Provide technical support and consultation for business and clients.
- Mentor junior DBA and business users.
- Calm under pressure.
- Highly driven and self-motivated.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Conscientious with a strong sense of pride and accountability.
- Good problem solving techniques.
- Customer focused.
- Able to take responsibility and problem solve in difficult or stressful situations.
Qualifications, Attributes and Experience
- Strong proficiency with MS SQL Server and related technologies.
- 4+ years’ working experience supporting with MS SQL Server.
- Experience with developing and supporting solutions using SSRS / SSIS.
- Experience within SQL Server versions 2012, 2016 and 2019, standard and enterprise editions.
- Good understanding of the internal workings of MSSQL.
- Proficient with SQL query and server performance tuning techniques.
- Experience with HADR technologies, particularly SQL Server Availability Groups.
- Database design and implementation skills.
- Strong T-SQL writing skills.
- Strong query tuning and optimization and troubleshooting skills.
- Good Security awareness and understanding of best practices within SQL and related security features.
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Excellent mentoring skills.
- Microsoft certifications.
- Experience with Hibernate and Java.
- Good understanding of data warehousing solutions.
- Experience with Oracle & MySQL.
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience with Atlassian Collaboration Tools.
- Knowledge and experience of the utility sector.
- Experience with SQL server monitoring tools.
- Follow IMS Policies.
- Reporting of Incident.
- ISO Responsibilities.
- ISO Staff Awareness.