- Contract Type
- Contract Type
- 37.5 hours a week, between 8AM and 6PM Monday-Friday Given the ongoing situation with COVID, you will initially work remotely, with dedicated support being provided by a senior developer and the Software Engineering Manager by way of Zoom, Slack, Phone, Screensharing etc. Our goal will be to return to our Chorley based office in the coming months, which is where you will be based. However, there will still be an option of working remotely up to 4 days a week when this happens, but it will be subject to successfully completing the probation period, which is 6 months.
- ESG Global (Energy) Ltd UK Head Office, Brisance House, Euxton Lane, Lancashire, PR7 6AQ
We are an innovative and market leading software & services company based in Chorley serving clients in the utility sector ranging from new entrants to large existing suppliers. We deliver sophisticated software solutions and managed services in a Private Cloud infrastructure, servicing both traditional and modern real-time, smart energy clients.
As a Software Engineering Team Lead, you shall be expected to lead development and unit testing of software to the ESG Development Standards to ensure that all products are of acceptable quality to the end customer. You shall lead and participate in design and planning of software solutions to the requirements specification. You shall lead and manage one or more software engineers and/or architects. You shall be managed and report to an Associate Software Engineering Manager or report directly to the Software Engineering Manager.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Actively lead, coach and mentor staff within your designated team.
- Appraise, develop, and recommend necessary training and development plans for team members.
- Be the single point of escalation for team members, resolving escalations with your team members and passing exceptions to the software engineering manager for support.
- Innovate and lead by example introducing and presenting new tools, ways of working and approaches to benefit the team and the organisation.
- Actively seek to coach less experienced developers with practices including pair programming, code reviews, design reviews and performance feedback.
- Lead the design and architecture of software solutions with involvement from senior developers, solution architects and the software engineering manager.
- To lead application support by resolving complex queries raised through the service desk.
- Have an active and keen interest in the Java development eco-system. Continually keeping up to date with the latest tools, frameworks, and technologies.
- Share knowledge between staff ensuring consistency of development practises between teams.
- Provide customer support for installed products by identifying, diagnosing, and providing a resolution.
- Show commercial awareness concerning timescales and project scope, prioritising key work, and delegating accordingly.
- To lead and assist in the definition of feasible, cost-effective solutions to meet the agreed functional and non-functional requirements.
- To understand GUI standards and assist users in interpreting these as required, liaising with the UX team, and undertaking GUI design and prototyping.
- Liaise with BA and Test Leads whilst developing software solutions and solving problems.
- To lead, undertake and participate in quality reviews.
- To assist in the identification of opportunities for component and technology re-use.
- To ensure the delivery of the design and software specifications are to the highest quality.
- To construct and document new and amended software in accordance with ESG standards, to meet the requirements of the design/program specification.
- To assist in the preparation of user documentation.
- To lead and contribute to the project planning process by providing estimates of effort and elapsed time for the assigned work; to advise of any deviations from the plan and recommend corrective actions.
- To understand and implement quality control, to comply with all relevant standards and procedures and participate in quality assurance and control activities.
- To understand and implement change control and work within a formal change control system.
- To report progress and lead progress meetings.
- Conduct yearly appraisals and regular one-to-one reviews for members of staff in their teams, keeping the software engineering manager aware of emerging issues.
- Attend ESG management and leadership development training.
You must have:
- Strong commercial experience of software development, with most, if not all, of the following technologies: Java, Spring, Hibernate, Maven, GIT, JUnit, JQuery, HTML & CSS
- Proven track record of delivering software products and utilising development methodologies
- Proven experience of leading, coaching, and mentoring software development teams
- Ability to provide software process improvements is essential
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communications
- Working knowledge of the Energy Industry is desirable, but not essential
- Working in an agile software development environment is desirable, but not essential
Qualifications, Attributes & Experience
- A minimum 2:1 Degree in Computer/IT related discipline.
- A minimum of 5+ years development experience within an industrial setting.
- A minimum of 2+ years of team lead experience
You will have:
- Good problem-solving techniques
- Good inter-personal skills
- Demonstrable management and leadership skills
- Team lead of management experience essential
- Ability to lead a team of software developers and can work closely with BAs and testers
- Ability to coach and mentor more junior team members to bring on their development
- Apply management techniques to support the smooth running of a software development team
- Excellent understanding of full IT lifecycle, with detailed knowledge of at least one of the following: Analysis/Design, Software Engineering, Testing, Implementation
- A desire to lead and improve the software engineering department at ESG, through continuous process improvements of people, processes, and tools
- Follow IMS Policies
- Reporting of Incidents
- ISO Responsibilities
- ISO Staff Awareness